This week we’re revisiting a challenge from last year – shooting groups with an odd number of objects (or people). Many photographers and designers use the Rule of Thirds to compose images. The Rule of Odds follows a similar principle. Essentially people find groups with odd numbers more appealing. Your challenge this week is to compose and shoot an odd grouping.
The Rule of Odds is used extensively in design and architecture. You can read more about it here:
- The ‘Odd Rule’ of Composition
- Now That’s Odd (Using Odd Numbers in Design)
- Rule of Three and Odd Numbers
The challenge doesn’t have to include numbers. This challenge isn’t about finding something to shoot, it’s about composing a shoot. That means you can set it up however you want, and use anything you want. Just make sure it’s an odd group.
Since architecture and design often use the Rule of Odds, you can take advantage of what others have already grouped together, like the chairs above.
One last thing, this will be the last Numbers challenge for the year. The feedback from the PhotoChallenge.org community made it clear that the numbers challenges became more about finding a number than composing good shots. The point of PhotoChallenge.org is to challenge you to become better a photographer, not go on scavenger hunts for subjects. Also, we want people to have fun and look forward to challenges. My challenges for the rest of the year will be random, and some people will find them extremely difficult and well outside of their comfort zone. Gear won’t matter. You’ll be able shoot with camera phone if you want to.
- Post one original photograph (Your Image) shot each week per theme posted on this blog to Google+, Facebook, or Flickr (or all three). Tag the photo #photochallenge.org or #photochallenge2015.
- The shot should be a new shot you took for the current weekly theme, not something from your back catalog or someone else’s image.
- The posted image should be a photograph, not a video.
- Don’t leave home without your camera. Participating in the 2015 Photo Challenge is fun and easy.